This comforting white cut chicken recipe comes from my Chinese grandmother’s spiral-bound notebook. Save the cooking liquid for another use—I like to boil it with carrots, celery, onion, and parsley to make a flavorful broth. Any leftover chicken is wonderful over rice, in salads, or turned into tacos or chicken salad.
Featured in: "In Defense of Boiled Chicken."
For the chicken:
- 2 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. sugar
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 chicken (4 lb.), cut into 8 pieces, breasts left bone in
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. thinly sliced fresh red chile (optional)
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced, plus more for garnish